"Ohhhhh...." Lizzy moaned, "Now there's no one left to set me free."
I've been thinking this week about all the things from which I've been set free in Christ-- free from death, free from sin, free from MYSELF, free from futility, free from hopelessness-- the list brings me to my knees in gratitude. Then there are the things from which I'm still trying to be set free. Don't get me wrong, Jesus has cut the rope, I just somehow seem to tangle myself up with it again and again. So as I end a week of "independence ponderings," I've penned a simple list. Perhaps you've got one, too.
Ten Things From Which Every Mom Needs to Be Set Free
1. Guilt- it's the gift that keeps giving and giving and giving
2. Comparison-it instantly kills my contentedness
3. The Backseat Argument- who CARES where you sit in the mini van?
4. Diaper bags without wipes- why do I haul around a bag the size of the kitchen sink and STILL find myself wiping my baby's poopy bottom with a leaf at the ball park?
5. Referee Duties- I've never looked good in stripes.. . why can't siblings just GET ALONG?
6. Sticky Floors-I'll know my children are grown and gone when I can walk barefooted across the kitchen floor again
7. Self-Doubt- I'm tired of wondering if what I'm doing today is going to put my kid on a counselor's couch tomorrow. God's grace is bigger than my MISTAKES!
8. Monotony- time to dig that lingerie out from under the nursing bras
9. The Battle of the Bulge- Seriously, is skin that has been stretched to infinity and beyond really supposed to be firm and flat again?
10. Crabbiness- Life's just too short
How about you? What's on your list? Don't hesitate to leave a comment and add to my freedom cry. And then, remember today's treasure and claim the amazing truth of God's word next time you're tempted to tie yourself up with the worthless chains of condemnation: If the Son sets you free, you are free indeed. John 8:36